The skill of most American Football quarterbacks is to throw the ball from a long distance with precise accuracy. Many throws during the game are of short length. However, many players have records for throws from long distances. Some players are known for having a 70-yard ball throw in between the game.
There are competitions for having the longest throw, including the NFL QB challenge, which has been known for many years. The long-distance throw is one of the four segments of the competition. The other three are speed, accuracy, mobility, and read and recognition tests. Each player is given two tries, considering the most accurate and a better shot for the results.
If you are interested to learn about the longest football throw, you are at the right place. So, let’s get into the article!
- Quarterback Challenge Records:
- 1. 1993 Quarterback Challenge:
- 2. Quarterback challenge, 1996:
- 3. 1997 Quarterback Challenge:
- 4. 1999 Quarterback Challenge:
- 5. 2000 Quarterback Challenge:
- 6. Quarterback Challenge, 2001:
- 7. 2002 Quarterback Challenge:
- 8. 2003 Quarterback Challenge:
- 9. 2004 Quarterback Challenge:
- 10. Quarterball Challenge, 2005:
- Longest NFL pass in the Air
- Fastest Football Throw Ever
- To Wrap Up
Quarterback Challenge Records:
Brief detail about the Quarterback challenge held every year, along with the participants’ closed positions, and is mentioned below.
1. 1993 Quarterback Challenge:
For the challenge held in 1993, Randall Cunningham won the position for throwing the football from the longest distance.
His throw was 76 yards, setting his record in history. This throw by Randall Cunningham is recorded to be the longest throw ever made in the history of the NFL Quarterback Challenge.
However, there is no video evidence for the record. The spectators of the competition witness the throw and claim it to be the longest throw made ever.
Cunningham was known to have the most muscular arms. In 1985, he threw the ball measured to be 30,000 yards with 207 touchdowns in his career of 16 years.
2. Quarterback challenge, 1996:
The most awaited seventh annual FootAction NFL quarterback challenge was arranged on the location of the Palm Golf Course driving range at the Walt Disney World Resort. Numerous participants were there to give their best to set records.
They include Jim Harbaugh, Brett Favre, Steve Young, Drew Bledsoe, Kerry Collins, Jeff Hostetler, Rick Mirer, Dave Brown, Scott Mitchell, Jeff Blake, and more. However, the results have yet to be known for the challenges.
3. 1997 Quarterback Challenge:
Quarterball Challenge, 1997 was held at the Walt Disney World Sports Complex, Orlando, Florida.
The event’s participants include Brett Favre, Troy Aikman (Cowboys), Jim Harbaugh, Steve Young, Vinny Testaverde, Kerry Collins, Jeff Blake, Neil O’Donnell, Gus Frerotte, and Jeff George. The results of the competition are as follow:
- Brett Favre throws the football from a distance of 75 yards.
- Drew Bledsoe has thrown 74 yards.
- Jeff Blake and Jeff George threw the ball from 72 yards.
4. 1999 Quarterback Challenge:
The players for the 1999 Quarterback Challenge were Randal Cunningham, Jake Plummer, Vinny Testaverde, and Steve McNair.
Three players stand in the same position for throwing the football with a distance recorded 71 yards, including Randall Cunningham, Steve McNair, and Vinny Testaverde.
5. 2000 Quarterback Challenge:
For the location of the quarterback challenge 2000, Lihu’e’s Vidinha Stadium in Hawaii was selected.
There were several participants in the competition. However, there is no record of the results.
6. Quarterback Challenge, 2001:
Held in Hawaii, Quarterback Challenge 2001 featured many participants. Some of them are Trent Dilfer, Jeff Garcia, Rob Johnson, Peyton Manning, Donovan McNabb, and Jake Plummer.
Their records include 72 yards by Trent Dilfer and 69 yards by Peyton Manning and Donovan McNabb.
7. 2002 Quarterback Challenge:
Another Quarterback Challenge for the year 2002 was arranged in the U.S state of Hawaii.
This event featured numerous players, including Jeff Garcia, Peyton Manning, Aaron Brooks, Jake Plummer, Doug Flutie, and Tom Brady.
- 73 yards throw record by Aaron Brooks.
- Peyton Manning threw a football distance measured to be 68 yards.
- 76 yards by Jake Plummer
8. 2003 Quarterback Challenge:
The records set in the quarterback challenge, 2003 are as mentioned below:
- 62 yards by the participant named Tom Brady, securing the first position.
- 61 yards by Jeff Blake, standing on the second mark.
- 61 yards distance throw by Mark Brunnell
9. 2004 Quarterback Challenge:
For the Quarterback Challenge 2004, many players took part and marked their names on the position holders list.
- 65 yards Carson Palmer
- 65 yards Byron Leftwitch
- 63 Mark Brunnell & Jake Delhomme
10. Quarterball Challenge, 2005:
The Quarterback Challenge, 2005, was another Football throw challenge in which participants for this game were Drew Brees, Matt Hasslebeck, Ben Rothlisberger, Carson Palmer, Jake Delhomme, Byron Leftwich, and Joey Harrington.
- 73 yards throw distance set by Byron Leftwitch
- Carson Palmer threw the ball from a great distance, measuring 72 yards.
- 71 yards by Jake Delhomme, setting his record in the world’s history.
Longest NFL pass in the Air
In December 2020, during a game against Baltimore Ravens, Baker Mayfield made the record for the longest throw in the air. He threw the ball toward the end of the second quarter of the Hail Mary.
According to Pro Football Focus, this throw was about 70.5 yards in the air before coming to the ground.
Alireza Beiranvand has officially broken the Guinness World Record for the longest throw ever recorded in a football match.
Fastest Football Throw Ever
NFL teams started to measure the velocity of the thrown ball a decade ago. In the annual competition 2017, Patrick Mahomes threw the ball whose velocity measured 60 miles per hour.
This record is for the fastest football throw ever. This man has also set another record for the longest throw in history, almost throwing the ball completely out of the Arrowhead Stadium in Kanas City.
His longest football throw record was set on the pro day with Texas Tech leading up to 2017 NFT drafts, recorded to be 80 yards.
To Wrap Up
To wrap up the article, there are mesmerizing records for the longest football throw for many years.
All the players setting these records have done this with much effort and practice. Inscribing their name in the world's history, these players have achieved the reward for what they have made their efforts for.
Many of the winners from NFL challenges have repeated these challenges, taking part every other year.